Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Embracing Halloween.



Remember? Remember how I detest Halloween, so much so that for the last 4 years, I have attempted to bribe my children with a monetary exchange in hopes of avoiding Halloween? Remember how my great plan was always responded to with an "um, no!"? Though one year, I must say, my little people did actually toy with the idea before shouting "um, no!" at me. So this year - I have just decided to let it all go. ☺

I don't dislike Halloween because of the "satanic" image it portrays. Personally, I believe that is such nonsense & hogwash. Good grief. I'm not sure exactly why I dislike Halloween. Strong possibility though that it's a combination of the following: finding costumes (& the amount of time it entails), paying for the costumes, trying to capture at least a few photos of completely hyped up, giddy w/ delight children, scrambling around to eat dinner & get everyone ready & out the door by dusk, & did I mention paying for the costumes. If one has more than one child, Halloween is certainly no inexpensive little diddy. And we do all the above for what? Approximately 2 hours. (Though, uh, the candy is like, totally worth it.) ☺



This year I am starting anew. My goodness, if my children adore Halloween so much, who am I to rain on their parade? If they decide to deny themselves of a monetary gift that certainly lasts a lot longer than Halloween itself does, who am I to try to change their minds? I mean heck, every year that I beg & plead (&, beg & plead) for them to accept the money along with a trip to Toys-R-Us instead of participating in trick-or-treating, I have upped the bribe amount by $10. At this rate, it's cheaper to buy costumes anyway!

So this year I am embracing "Hallowing", as my Jaguar calls it. ☺



Speaking of Jaguar, she has requested to be a "Mitten" for Halloween this year. Now. I have to be honest here. I was really wondering how in the world I was going to pull that one off. She was adamant, too. She was going to be a Mitten & that is all there is to it. Until. Until, that is, she spotted a fluorescent green skeleton costume (which costs only $17, mind you) @ Wal-Mart. Bingo! By george, a skeleton costume it is for my curly haired little girl. Now won't she look just precious dressed as a skeleton, carrying her princess bucket? ☺

Trick-or-Treat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I was waiting to hear what the bribe would be this year for the kids not to participate in Halloween! You are just full of surprises, aren't you?

Speaking of Halloween, I may be having to bribe mine not to trick or treat this year. Where we live, they do not allow trick or treating on Friday or Saturday (Friday is HS football and Sat is the township football games) so this year, trick or treating is on Thursday the 29th - which also happens to be Natalie's 11th birthday! I was so peeved when I found out that trick or treating is on her birthday, and a school night no less. So I either have to bribe all of them to not participate so that we can celebrate Natalie's birthday, or I have to bribe her to celebrate her birthday a day late. Oy Vey!

Rebecca

Bridget said...

Oh, I bet you're relieved that Cailyn picked a skeleton costume. I know you would have come through with the mitten though! Glad you're embracing Halloween this year and I can't wait to see pictures of the kiddos in their costumes-they were so cute last year!!!

Lisa said...

We are all about making costumes if you can't borrow or get hand-me-downs. Last year, Olivia was a monkey (hand-me-down). This year, she has a witch costume, but if it doesn't fit (we haven't yet tried, also hand-me-down), then she'll wear her tie-dye shirt and with a little creativity, we'll make her into a hippie.