Monday, October 15, 2007

Can you guess?

Today I got my answer. Now let's see if you can guess. :)

To be a substitute teacher within our school district, you must have three completed items. Can you name all three?

Shocking answers revealed later. LOL! :)
*********************************************

1.) Complete an application.

2.) High school diploma.

3.) Background check.

To say I am disturbed would be an understatement.

Here's what happened today.

As I pulled around the school to pick up Bentley, I noticed my friend (Bent's last week sub) loading kids into their car.

As soon as she saw me, she grabbed Bentley & headed my way.

Our informative conversation -

Me - "Hi! Are you working here now, or what?"

Her - "I'm now a substitute."

Me - "Wow! I didn't know you continued your education to sub!"

Her - "I didn't."

Me - "You didn't? Then how are you subbing? Isn't that a requirement?"

Her - "No. I do have some college, but I don't have my degree."

Me - "So, what's necessary to sub?"

Her - " Basically an application, high school diploma & a background check. So far I've subbed Kindergarten, 1st grade & 4th grade. I'm learning as I go."

"Wow! I had no idea! See you later!"

I am teaching my child to trust & obey his peers - now I really need to rethink my plan.

I'm trying not to envision - "Hey Bentley, since I'm (meaning anyone) your teacher for today...your mom said to come on with me & I'll take you home" - or something of the sort. Of course I realize this situation could happen with any teacher. However, if they (ISD) required some college before teaching children...at least we would all know that those particular subs did prove (by furthering their education) that they truly do have an interest for teaching children, & are not just subbing while scouting for "the one". A tad of comfort is better than no comfort at all...

At this point, I really don't know what else to say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

fingerprints, background check, and high school diploma/GED?

Posted by: Rebecca | October 15, 2007 at 07:09 PM

Anonymous said...

Or, heaven forbid this to be true...a drivers license, GED and proof of address???? I so hope I am wrong on both of these guesses!

Posted by: Rebecca | October 15, 2007 at 07:10 PM

Anonymous said...

It is a truly horrible system. As a previous high school teacher (before Miss Lil made me a full time mama), I was so disturbed so often by the subs I'd get in my classroom. No college degree, no educational training. It's horrible. I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time with your school system.

Posted by: Kat | October 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM