Thursday, April 1, 2010

How you sleep can affect eyelash performance.

Ever thought about it? It's true. How do I know? Because of the way I personally sleep, affects the position of my own eyelashes.



Let me back up. I ♥ eyelashes. Love them. Love their possibilities (black? blue? (I totally always used to wear blue mascara!) green? brown? false? natural?) I completely believe they are taken for granted. Reality is, eyelashes enhance the eyes. Mascara enhances the eyelashes & softens the face. Mascara, applied incorrectly, can make eyelashes hideous & gaudy. But applied properly - simple eyelashes can become a true wow factor. I don't think there is one woman on the face of this earth too pretty for mascara. Eyelashes & mascara are two of God's greatest gifts; too often ignored & not used to their full potential. And that's just a shame.

Giggling yet? Ü

Look at the with & without photo. Speaks for itself, doesn't it? One can obtain the same result (minus color) without eye shadow & liner.

Back to sleeping. If you are a back sleeper, chances are you're 'safe', unless you sleep with your hands/arm pressed against your face/eyes. If you are a side sleeper, or tummy sleeper, chances are your sleeping position(s) is affecting your eyelash performance. How? If your eyelashes are pressed up against, say, your pillow, they get smooshed. If they are pressed against an arm, like mine, the lashes get forced night after night into an unnatural position. After time, they begin to shape, or curl, into a somewhat permanent position. And because of an unnatural shape/position, mascara doesn't or can't apply effortlessly & smoothly making the lash(es) flow, which results in beautifully applied mascara. Unnaturally shaped lashes can just look weird.

In my situation, because of the way I sleep, my right eyelashes tend to not flow out & up like my left eyelashes. My eyelashes towards the outter corner of my eye begin to curl. Sideways. What I have found that helps resolve this issue, is using eye makeup remover (whether I've had mascara on or not) before showering. I apply using a cotton ball, & gently (never tug on your delicate eye area) rub down & out in slow strokes in attempts to 'reform' or reshape my awkward eyelashes. Applying remover also helps soften the lashes, as does the warm shower. After my shower, I close my eyes & run a warm washcloth over my eyelashes, in a straight, downward sweep. Does it work? Yes, enough to get my eyelashes flowing in a straight direction, so my mascara applies beautifully & works in the manner it was developed to do.

One of the first features someone notices about another is their eyes. I ♥ eyes. Eyes are one of the main reasons I love natural light photography. I once read "eyes are windows to the soul". They most certainly are! So, don't forget to wear mascara. If nothing else, seriously, apply some mascara & Lipsmackers. You'll feel better, you'll look better, & you'll enhance two very pretty features you are blessed with. Ü

So there you go. Do you have bent/curved/crooked eyelashes due to your sleeping position(s)? Are you going to go look? And/or pay attention to the way you sleep tonight? I bet you do! LOL :o)

14 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Neat post Melissa. I never thought about this before and it's very interesting.

Have a happy and blessed Easter!
~Melissa :)

MG said...

So...what's your fav brand?? Mind USED to be Lancome Definicils "back in the day" (aka before I had children and would spend a mere $20 on mascara...I'm sure it's more than that now). But seriously, it's amazing stuff! Now, I test different brands but I do love Loreal, since it's made by the same company it's pretty comparable. I, too, share your love for mascara...but I must use a curler before.

Mommy Brain said...

Ok, I have GOT to tell you about the best mascara ever!!!! I just discovered it ...have you tried Cover Girl's Lash Exact(purple tube) or Lash Extend(? maroon tube) it's FANTASTIC! and it's only about $7.50w/ coupon even cheaper. I love it!

dee62383 said...

I have been looking everywhere online for the solution to my "crooked eyelashes" problem! It's been driving me crazy! It ruins my mascara application!

1) Before a shower, use eye makeup remover, swiping downward and outward.

2) After your shower, use a warm washcloth and swipe downward.

SheenaBeena said...

Yes! Thank you!! I've been wondering if it's only me! I'm a side sleeper so my left eye lashes on the outer corner stick straight up and always have. I finally realized it must be connected to how I sleep. It causes problems when I try to apply falsies or just mascara and curling them makes it worse. But the rest of the lashes need curling so I've just accepted it that my left eyelashes will never be as beautiful as the other eye. I'm going to try this! Thanks again!!

Unknown said...

Do you think wearing an eye mask during sleep would protect the lashes?

Unknown said...

Well I wear an eyemask every night and my eyelashes look like they got vacuumed sideways. But maybe you’ll have better luck. :)

Ayna B said...

Ugh this is such a problem for me! I only noticed this issue when I had to sleep on my back for over a month due to body pains and over this period my lashes reshaped themselves into a perfect even curl and my eyes looked mesmerising as a result. I don’t have the body pains anymore so I naturally began sleeping on my sides again and my lashes went back to looking funny. I even suspected that maybe it’s also the fact that when sick my eyes were half-open and now that I’m ok again - I open my eyes fully and maybe the lashes get pushed into my hooded eye area... I don’t know what it is exactly but I’m trying to learn to sleep on my back and hope to get that captivating lash shape again.

Dolly said...

I am 65. My lower lashes started laying on their side 15 or so years ago. Nothing I have tried will pull them back into a natural position. I have a heated eyelash curler that will pull them out some but they will not stay more than a few seconds before laying over again.

Unknown said...

Thx for the tip!! After 36 years, now I can see why I favor my left side of my face!!

Unknown said...

Same thing on my left eye! Lol We're not alone!

Unknown said...

I knew I was going to wind up switching to laying on my back. Ugh.I suspected that mine would do the same as yours if I slept on my back. Thanks for the info.

Unknown said...

I would think a mask would only add to the problem. It's weight on the lashes that can cause them to bend and grow in the wrong direction. So the less weight, pressure, etc you can put on your lashes the better.

Unknown said...

Thank you mine are curled now I know there's hope!