Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I cleaned my freezer!

This here is one exciting post, let me tell you. I cleaned my freezer! Fun stuff.

Our poor, little frig/freezer. This thing is old. We've lived here now for 7 (I can't believe we've made it this long!) years, in the previous house 7 years so - 14 years old. A few weeks ago, I thought it was going out. But so far so good! We don't have an ice maker. It went out years ago & we just never got it fixed. We use ice trays! Remember ice trays? Would it be more convenient for a family of 6 to have an ice maker? Of course! But I don't complain. We are so completely blessed - I'll take the ice trays. :)

Truth - I don't clean my freezer (or frig) often. I'm a 'wipe as you go' kind of person, so deep cleaning isn't something I really think about. That said, a few weeks ago, my husband left the freezer door open all night & we lost all food (ouch!). So I took the opportunity to scrub it up.

Here's the before:



Pretty icky under the bottom basket & in the side trays.





And the tight areas? I clean them. All. Everywhere. I find something that will fit in the tight area & clean away! Those spaces, wherever they are in your home, need to be cleaned, too, not ignored. That's a butter knife I have stuck inside my cleaning cloth in order to slide it inside that tight area. I use knives, toothpicks, q-tips, whatever for those itty spaces.



Here's the after! It really did need to be cleaned - I'll definitely be cleaning my freezer/frig now on a regular basis.







Even though inside a running freezer proves challenging to keep surfaces wet, I went ahead & used my favorite (Shaklee) Basic G. I at least made an attempt at killing any germs inside the freezer, even though I couldn't leave it wet for the standard 10 minutes. I sprayed G on my cloth, getting it good & wet, & wiped away! I switched to a new cleaning cloth, after the cloth was soaked & dirty, before continuing to clean.

Next on the agenda? The frig. Can't wait!

No comments: