Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mad Mama.

My experience at the grocery store today -

Went to check out & the clerk waiting to help me was eating. Icky.

She then wheeled my baby Mercedes around as she went to unload my basket.

I bought lots o' meat today. She scanned it all.

At that point, Mercedes started fussing.

The lady who had just been eating & touching my raw meat (among all the other dirty cans & such) then grabbed my baby's toys that hang on her carseat & shook them, trying to soothe her.

At that point I just stared as I was stunned. I couldn't even force myself to say "Stop that! Your hands are filthy!!!!"

I then walked over & grabbed my Mercedes off the basket.

Another lady who was bagging then looked at me & said...& I quote...

"Are you babysitting?" As my children looked on w/ confused expressions. They heard every word. (If you recall, when we began discussing adoption w/ Bentley he asked us "so, you're just babysitting me?") I could tell the distress on Bent's face.

"Excuse me? Am I babysitting? These are MY CHILDREN!" I sternly replied.

To which the lady knew she had done a no-no & turned the other way.

I had a nice conversation today w/ the "Associate Manager". The store manager was out. The lady I spoke w/ was horrified. Not only about the eating & toy touching (which they are replacing) but most important...about the comment.

And then I informed her -

1.) I have two bi-racial children. (I could tell she almost fell out of her chair...)

2.) They are all adopted. (At this point she was close to passing out...)

Ms. Melissa lets a lot of things slide. I really do. I take most things in stride & if it angers me...I get over it. Plain & simple.

This situation? Absolutely no frickin' way.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

katd said...

Wow. I am proud of you for not just slugging the woman then and there! :)
It's horrible that people say things and don't even think about what they might be saying. Is the manager going to follow up? Poor sweet Cade! Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that had happened with Cade. How is he doing with this? I am so sorry that people in general are stupid. That was a very ignorant comment. I really don't understand people. Why she felt compelled to say that is beyond me. What an idiot!
Christa

Anonymous said...

What makes me SO angry, is had all your children been Caucasian, she probably wouldn't have asked the "babysitting" question.....

My cousin is a psychiatrist and she has a picture of Lily on her desk. One of her clients made the comment, "Oh...what a cute little black baby"....my cousin gasped (fake gasp) and said, "She's black?" LOLOLOL!

That client stuttered around....
She would never have said, "Oh look at that cute little white baby"....
I'm not trying to make it about race, I am just saying that people say very ignorant comments....and I'm not sure why.
So glad you didn't get arrested for punching the woman right there! LOL
Katie