Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Summer has arrived!

Man. It's hot here. We've already had a few 100 degree days it's not even July. I think we're in for a bad (extremely hot) summer. Add in the precious Texas humidity & you have a deadly combination. Oh joy. :)


Lately I've been thanking the Lord we have a swimming pool. This pool fails in comparison to our last pool - fortunately though, children are children & they couldn't care a less. A pool is a pool to them. I could stand to learn a thing or two from their simple innocence. :) They all love to swim & that's all that matters. As much as I still despise this sink hole/money pit (I must admit, I'm loving it more & more as I observe what the housing market is doing right now), the pool is a blessing. A true, appreciated blessing. :)


So...every day, this is what we have been doing. Sometimes 2 & 3 times a day. Husband put Mercedes in the pool for the first time the other night. It was so sweet. She loved it. Too bad I was too tired to take photos. :)

And then there's the child shown below. He has always been so terrified of the pool/water. Last year I blogged about it & the next day, he began to swim! As of two nights ago, I was encouraging him to try jumping in. No way. The following night, he did. And he hasn't stopped jumping in since. He has come so, so far. :)



I have noticed that the pool & chemicals are wreaking havoc on Jaguar's hair. I must find a solution to this before it gets worse. Her hair is so incredibly dry - moreso than before. I reckon I'll Google AA hair/swimming. If anyone can offer any suggestions, please let me know. I've pretty much got her hair & products figured out - but not swimming and/or chemicals. Maybe some sort of 'before' conditioner? Hmm. :)


Other things keeping me occupied?

1.) I am currently obsessed with keeping my house clean. How clean do I like my house? When we moved out of our old house, it was in the contract that the house (both houses, actually...new & old) be professionally cleaned. The cleaners showed up but my house was so clean, they left. LOL Funny now, but not at the time since I had already paid them. :) Anyway, when Mercedes arrived, things kind of slipped so I'm getting back on top of it & staying on top of it. There is nothing more gratifying to me than a spic-n-span house.

2.) eBay. I am selling some things & I've had my first 'winner' who refused to pay. That was a mess! I'm somewhat still new to eBay & I didn't handle the situation correctly which costs me some fees, when I should have been reimbursed fees. Live & learn. :)

3.) Taking/editing/deleting/processing photos. :)

And the most important?

4.) My wee ones. :)

I'll try to get back to posting more frequently. Off to Google. :)

5 comments:

Mommy Brain said...

Looks like fun! We have a pool in our backyard too, however, it's not inground...but we love it. It was super hot last week but this week in the low 70's...what's going on?!?!?! It's amazing how fast the kids take to swimming isn't it? I know NOTHING about black hair but I do know that if you get hair wet before you jump into the swiming pool it makes it less porous and it will soak up less chemicals...conditioner on the hair before it gets wet also acts like a barrier. It's worth a shot...but I'm not sure what conditioner to use...what you usually use should be fine, I think those "swim" products are a bunch of hype. That's my 2 cents thanks for letting me share it!

amanda said...

What about a shower cap for when she goes swimming? A pain in the butt, I know, but might be worth the effort to save her pretty hair! :)

Anonymous said...

wanna move to Pennsylvania??? Today's temp is 62 degrees with ZERO humidity :) Also, I talked to a friend of mine that is AA and she said that a swim cap is best for protecting hair, but if Cailyn won't wear one, before she gets into the pool, wet her hair with water, then apply a conditioner. She said a "protein free" one works best. After she gets out of the pool, and this is going to sound weird, rinse her hair with cheap ol' club soda. She said it works wonders. Also, and I am sure you already know this, she said to only wash Cailyn's hair with shampoo once a week, but to condition it every day in the bath. If she has product build up in her hair, you can rinse her hair with baking soda and water in between shampoos. Hope this helps girlie!

Rebecca M

Anonymous said...

Hey. I found this below about AA hair and swimming...

Katie
This is just an article I found:

What has worked well for us is a two-fold approach. Swim caps have been sorta pointless...but the best way to use one, we have found, is to cover the hair with a pair of pantyhose (you know how to make one of those caps, right?) and then pull the rubber cap over that...otherwise the swim cap pulls the hair. Mainly we leave our daughter's hair braided and use a combination of a hair dressing with sunscreen, a shampoo which deactivates chlorine (like the kind you used to use to keep blonde hair from turning green) which we work through the hair at least once a week and then rinse out, and LOTS of oil which seems to help protect the hair from drying out.

With my girls I leave their hairstyles in and rinse it very well. You can put conditioner in if it is getting very dry. For my AA kids I then add Dudleys Hair and scalp conditioner everyday. I get her braided every 2 weeks. Their hair stays healthy. For my bi-racial girls, I mix Dudleys and Nexus moisturizing conditioner. We swim all the time. Be sure not to over wash their hair. For their skin I use Motions extra moisturizing skin creme or Soft As Me. They add creme every time after they swim. They know the routine.

threadbiz01 said...

When I take Destiny to the pool I always have spray leave in conditioner in my pool bag. I brush and spray her hair everytime I get her out. Also the info about only washing once a week and condition everyday in bath is what my hairdresser also told me to do.
Condition Condition Condition!!! :)
Lynn