Friday, June 26, 2009

Determination.

A little history, some of you may remember. A few years ago, Audi was very frightened of the water. At our annual July 4th family reunion, while all the other children swam, Audi hung out with the adults in the shade. It made me sad. That said, he was so scared of the water, I made the decision not to push him. Hubby insisted on swimming lessons. I said no way. I won. :) I don't believe in forcing children, I don't believe in tossing them in saying "sink or swim!" or any of that bs. Leave them alone & when they are ready, they will do it. With much less reluctance, to boot. After that July 4th, I came home & blogged about Audi's fear of swimming. The next day, he put on his life jacket, jumped in the pool, & has never looked back. ☺

Hubby got home early today & took the boys out back swimming while the girls & I napped. When I walked outside, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Audi was swimming, without his life jacket! We have been talking with him about learning to swim without his life jacket but again, he was too fearful. We let it go. Today, without prompting, he took that sucker off & again - never looked back!



What amazes me the most is how well, at not even 5 1/2 years old, he is swimming! All across the deep end, completely unassisted (but being watched like a hawk, of course), swimming the width & entire length of the pool, like he had been doing it for months! And it had only been an hour or two, at the most! Ü



Audi's determination is so commendable. When he puts his mind to something - it may be on his terms & not ours - this child takes it to heart & gives it his all. If you recall, Audi has OCD which means when he does something, he's going to do it right. And he does. He doesn't settle for 'almost'. Audi is no slacker & anything but lazy. I am SO proud of him!!



I am excited to see where God takes this child. With Audi's determination & drive, there is nothing that will stop him & get in his way. If he stays with it, & never accepts or settles for less, life will take him further than he can imagine. How fun to travel this adventure with him, supporting him, as he dives straight into life!

Happy weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!!!!!
Katie

Sarah R. said...

That is wonderful. I am waiting for the twins to decide they can swim without any floating devise of any kind. I know they can swim, they just have to decide they can too.
Oh and Sunblock does expire and all the literature and news out here say to buy new every summer. As the daughter of a man who has had skin cancer a few times, I take Sun Block seriously.

Carrie Hayes said...

What a great post!!