Saturday, February 13, 2010

Kidbits.

Bentley has been talking about Helen Keller lately because they are studying her life in school. Today @ lunch, Audi began a conversation about deafness. That particular conversation led into a conversation about blindness. It went something like this.

Me: Some people are born blind, & some people lose their vision due to different factors.

Hubby: Some people have difficulty seeing, but with technology, their vision is restored. Like Grandpa G. He recently had cataracts removed & he can see so much better now.

Me: Cataracts are something most elderly people develop - it's like a gray cloud sitting on their eye & can interfere with them seeing well. Now-a-days, they can visit a dr. & have those cataracts removed.

Audi: Do they put them to sleep?

Hubby: No, not for a procedure like that. They do one eye at a time & the patient, like Grandpa G, is awake. The laser procedure doesn't take long.

Audi: So, how can people lose their eyesight?

Hubby: Accidents, medical reasons, things like that.

Me: Just like my eye spells. If I get too many of them & they cannot be controlled, I have a strong possibility of losing my vision. (Yes, I love having that hanging over my head! Scary.) That is why I take medicine(s), to help prevent them.

Audi: So you could go blind?

Me: Yes, I could, but don't worry about it. It's likely not to happen.

Bentley: Mom, what's a stink bomb?

...crickets...

1 comment:

Bridget said...

HAHAHA! Sounds like some of the conversations at our house!!