Monday, May 17, 2010

Oven-Roasted Asparagus.

(Above photo before baking)

This is actually Launa's recipe. She sent me the awesome recipe binder, remember? Oh so cute! Anyway, I made meatloaf tonight & decided to try her Oven-Roasted Asparagus, not even knowing if they really 'go' together or not. Recipe as follows:

1 bunch Asparagus
4 Tablespoons (up to 5) Olive Oil
Kosher Salt, to taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
After you wash asparagus thoroughly, stack a bunch together & lop off the tough/thick bottom an inch or so.
Spread out the Asparagus in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Pat it as dry as you can, as you don't want any water to "steam" the asparagus in the oven.
Begin by generously drizzling olive oil all over the asparagus & then sprinkle the asparagus with kosher salt & freshly ground pepper.
Roast the asparagus for about 10 minutes. The secret here is for the oven to be very hot, so the asparagus can begin to brown on the outside without overcooking & getting too flimsy. You want the finished asparagus to still have a bite to it.

*Launa had made a note on the recipe stating that she uses garlic powder (or garlic salt) & bakes for about 5 minutes longer. So I used all seasonings together (the more the merrier!) & added 2 minutes to the bake time. I like to compromise. LOL I think I may have baked it just a tad too long, as the asparagus was just a tiny bit flimsy. But what do I know. :)

The final result:


I didn't like it, but I didn't dislike it. That doesn't really mean anything because I'm a very finicky eater. Would I make it/eat it again? Absolutely. Bentley ate 2 stalks (?) & that speaks volumes. Hubby thought it was superb. :)
*Jess added this tidbit: "It's so easy! It's grown here (WA) so for us it's astaple (there's 7lbs in my fridge). It can be steamed, stir-fried, turned into cream soup (like leek soup), grilled (yum). Favorite seasonings for asparagus: garlic & lemon, sea salt, black pepper, soy sauce. Goes well with fish & rice/rissotto.

4 comments:

Launa said...

Okay, I am laughing so hard right now!! That you posted a recipe for something you didn't even like! Haha! You crack me up!
Oh, and I do have to say I think my oven is a little slow (thus the extra time!) Guess I should of put that in there!

ivfmommee said...

I buy fresh asparagus almost every weekend at the Farmer's market. I broil mine for 7-8 minutes, drizzled with olive oil, sliced garlic, and sea salt. Then, I sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese on it when it has 3 minutes left in the broiler. SOOOOO YUMMY!

Bridget said...

I love asparagus and have to confess that I just learned how to cook fresh asparagus. I've never broiled it, though and this looks YUMMY! Thanks for including the recipe because I will be trying it...ya know, the next time I cook...

Mommy Brain said...

Love my asparagus this way...and like Bridget, I just learned how cook it and actually I just learned that I like it. My mom used to butcher it and I always thought it was mushy and stringy...now, I know better.