Saturday, October 13, 2012

How I clean & how we stay healthy during cold & flu season!

Two school years ago, illnesses ran rampant through the schools. So much so, the district considered closing schools for a week or two, to try to rid the bacteria/germs. That never happened & plenty of children missed unbelievable amounts of sick days. My kids were not exempt. Mine missed anywhere between 10-14 days or so. It was horrible! I believe it was at that time my oldest was getting Strep after Strep after Strep. We actually were referred to an ENT but suddenly, the Strep disappeared, & has yet to return! Bents hasn't had Strep in almost 1.5 years & I am so thankful, because Strep makes him just almost deathly ill. Last school year was much, much better. My kids missed between 1-5 days. That's a huge difference! Everyone felt so much better, which makes life so much happier. I also tweaked some cleaning efforts & I really think that helped, too. Hoping for another calm season this year!

At our home, when someone is sick, they get quarantined in their room. Not much fun, but necessary. We are a family of six, so we try diligently to not pass the germs. I do a lot of spraying & wiping. Spraying & wiping. Everywhere!

Back then, I used harsh chemicals. Blah. Was probably doing more harm than good. Anyway, my procedures haven't changed, but my products did. It's only all-natural Shaklee for us now. And really, I couldn't be more pleased. Now, during cold & flu season, I use one product alone. Basic G. An amazing, effective, all-natural disinfectant. I use it along with a washcloth rag.



Basic G works the same as other disinfectants. You spray & let it sit & let it dry. Boom. Done. Goodbye bacteria. Goodbye germs. Goodbye viruses.

Soak your cloth with Basic G, wipe/clean whatever hardware you desire, making sure it is amply wet & then let it dry! It's that simple! Its residual effectiveness lasts up to three (yes, three!) days after application. (Psst - if you don't want to use a cloth with the spray, Shaklee has Germ Off wipes, which serves the same purpose, just a tad more convenient. They are equally effective!) Also, very important - Basic G kills 32 pathogens, while Lysol only kills 8 pathogens! Just another reason I am on fire for Shaklee!

Moving right along...

Light switches.



Door knobs.



(I thought I'd use our beat up master bath door & knob. Ha!)

All faucets. All faucet handles. Same with the tub/shower. Toilets. Lid, seat, inside toilet (yes, I actually spray the inside of the toilet or, you can dump Basic G in the water, as well), handle, everything. Heck, if you don't have time to wipe with a cloth, then just spray! Saturating with the spray & letting it air dry will still kill germs! It just needs to remain on the surface for a minimum of 10 minutes. Some people first clean with Basic H & then spray with G. I just use G. It cleans & cleans well, so typically, I spray what I need to clean, let it sit 10 minutes & wipe it away with my cloth. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I love, love, love it!

Something else I changed quite some time ago is changing out the bathroom towels every single day. I used to change them out every 2 or 3 days - whenever they were 'dirty'. Hello!? Doh! They're dirty every day! So now they get replaced daily & the bathrooms are just so much fresher!



No, these are not the only hand towels I have. I have tons, since I go through so many. They do not all match & that will be changing very soon! From here on out, I will only buy white towels. And hand towels. And wash cloths. I'm looking forward to having all of them match. Will make washing more simple, too. And yes, my whites are very white, thanks to Nature Bright. I honestly don't know how I ever lived without it.

Here is a photo of our 3rd bathroom sink. This sink (& toilet, but it's at the other side of the room) gets used approximately 5,000 times a day. Or, a lot. I always keep it clean & now that I use all-natural products, the kids clean it, too. All natural products have many advantages. ;o)

So. In addition to keeping the house spic'er & span'er, we take only the best vitamins on the market. It is worth the extra few dollars to know my family is getting the best & they're keeping us healthy. My kids take these every morning with their breakfast.



Don't be fooled - not all children's vitamins are the same! Many ingredients in over the counter children's vitamins are unhealthy (dyes, etc.) & unnecessary. If in doubt, Google. Lots of information on Google.

The other day I have commented that I had forgotten to take my vitamins & as a result of that, I had gotten sick. Of course, I took them immediately & the next day, I was completely fine. Been fine ever since. I love NutriFeron & I won't miss a day again, that's for sure! My husband has recently started taking them too.



So here's to a clean cold & flu season! Happy health!

No comments: