Saturday, November 17, 2007

Goin' Green update.

This is mostly for my benefit so I can keep everything straight! I'm still experimenting with certain items & I don't want to get confused.

Glass/Mirrors - vinegar or diluted vinegar. Can't tell a difference - both work great.

Toilet bowls - Arm & Hammer or Bon Ami and/or vinegar. I'm going to try Borax next.

Exterior toilet - Clorox Anywhere. Soak all parts - let sit- wipe with paper towels, including surrounding floor.

Laundry - perfume/dye-free detergent & Borax (at the same time). Love, love, love this. I probably will never use anything else.

Floors - I'm disappointed in this area & very frustrated. Initially on my hardwoods/marble/ceramic tile I used hot water & a tad of dish soap. Floors looked beautiful, but I think the dish soap attracted dirt. I noticed the bottom of my children's socks were "dirty" & no way will I do that. No way. Never will my children run around with dirt on the bottom of their socks. (That's my OCD factor.) So next I tried vinegar & water (but not on the marble as vinegar is too harsh for marble). Same outcome. I finally broke down & bought some more Swiffers. Voila! Clean floors & no dirty socks. UGH! I don't want to use perfumed Swiffers. But for now, I will until I find another solution. I need to try to find something different though for my ceramic tile floors as those are way more hearty.

Bathroom counters - Arm & Hammer, but I may switch back to my Bon Ami since it's a tad more abrasive. Still no chlorine, perfume or dye.

Shower - finally! - Bon Ami. Works like a charm & rinses quickly. April tipped me off to Mr. Clean Magic Erasers - which I think worked great! However, my shower is so large, it would take me about 15 erasers each cleaning. So I tried Bon Ami & loved it. The minor issue I have with using Arm & Hammer on the shower tile is that the product "gunks up" on the cloth/sponge & it's difficult to spread. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...? Bon Ami was super simple to scrub with & rinsed effort-free.

All purpose cleaner - still using Clorox Anywhere. Love it. Typically I only use it in the kitchen & on the toilets.

TV/TV screens/Computer/Computer screens - diluted vinegar & paper towels. Works great.

Dusting - right now using Scotchbrite's Microfiber Cloths - this area still a work in progress.
And just so you all know - NO ONE has been sick at all since I switched my cleaning products. No one. Has been sick. At all. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* I think, for now, I'm going to stop using Arm & Hammer & begin using Bon Ami. Bon Ami is a tad more abrasive & comes in a shaker can which is easier to use. Arm & Hammer is "Sodium Bicarbonate", Bon Ami is "Calcium Carbonate". Not sure what the difference is. Hubby stated the obvious - Arm & Hammer is sodium based, Bon Ami is calcium based. Makes sense, but not sure if it's accurate. Bon Ami also states it is biodegradable detergent & contains no phosphorus. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Since I switched to using aromatherapy with the essential oils, my kids haven't been sick. I still get sick once a month since my immune system is still weakened, but I know it will get better and I was well 2 weeks longer than I had been previous months. BUT having the kids be well for a full 2 months is like a dream come true! I hope it continues!

So what is the argument that the other cleaners were helping them to be ill? I wasn't sure if you had mentioned what led you down this path.

Posted by: April | November 17, 2007 at 01:56 PM

Melissa :) said...

April, there for a while everyone was getting so sick so often, I was desperate. I was determined to do everything/anything I could do to at least try to help everyone be/stay healthier. For whatever reason, "chemicals" popped into my head & I decided to rid them to see if there was any improvement. Also, I ridded our home of all dusty plants (I had a bunch!) & other items that collected dust yet were more difficult to clean quickly & effectively. Our house is a little bare. But hey, it's clean! :)

Posted by: melissa :) | November 17, 2007 at 07:13 PM

Anonymous said...

Melissa that is FANTASTIC!! I bet you are overjoyed with no sick kiddo's and just the thought of not using all those chemicals is reassuring. Great job :) Where can you find Bon Ami?

Posted by: Kristy | November 18, 2007 at 09:31 AM

Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with Swiffers too. I absolutely love them. :)

Posted by: Kristy | November 18, 2007 at 09:32 AM