Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bentley's reading.

Bentley is all about books. Books, books, books, books, books. He reads so much, so often, I can't keep up with his books anymore!

Bentley was tested for reading on May 4, 2009.

His Individual Reading Profile (results):

Level - 40

Accuracy - 99%

Fluency - 158 words per minute

What does that mean? It means my child, who is currently wrapping up 2nd grade, is reading on a 4th grade reading level! At the end of the third grade (which he will be in starting next school year - i.e. August 2009), the expectations are 120 words per minute/level 38. He's certainly already exceeded that!

Woohoo! GO Bentley! I am so stinkin' proud of him I could squeeze his ears off! ☺ ♥



*There is a possibility that he is actually reading at 5th grade entry level, if the expectation for 4th grade is 150 words per minute at the end of the school year. My form only states up to 3rd grade. Beginning in first grade, the expectations increase each year by 30 increments, but I'm not positive it continues in the 30 increments past 3rd grade.

At the end of the school year students should be reading:

1st grade - 60 wpm
2nd grade - 90 wpm
3rd grade - 120 wpm

If the pattern continues:

4th grade - would be 150 wpm

Which means, if I am correct, he is quite possibly reading at a 5th grade level. Beginning of the school year, not the end of the year.

Oh who cares. WOOHOO!

4 comments:

Rebecca M. said...

AWESOME JOB CADE!!!! Keep reading - the more you read the more the whole world will open up for you. Everyone is so very proud of you. I think your Mom and Dad should buy you a new book to celebrate your achievement LOL!!!

Rebecca M. said...

I wish we lived closer to each other - Cade and Anthony would get along great. Anthony reads like crazy and is reading at the same level as Cade. If you ever need book suggestions, let me know.

Anonymous said...

That is fabulous! I know you are so proud!
katie

Sarah R. said...

I love it! As an avid reader I love to read posts like this. I know as a child I always tested above and beyond and I hope that he will be challenged at school instead of put in a reading class that is beneath him.