Tuesday, May 5, 2009

She has us all fooled.

The only concern that both the pediatrician & the Endocrinologist have regarding Mercedes is her speech. I, however, am not concerned in the least.

I've commented before that Mercedes can talk, she just doesn't. I'm not sure if this is because our home is so loud/crazy/noisy with constant talking that she can't get a word in edgewise, or if she's just playing us all. ☺

I know for a fact she can talk because I (we all) have heard her. And the words that she does display, are more than clear. Because of this alone, the pediatrician will wait until her 18 month well visit to see if having Mercedes see a Speech Therapist is necessary or not. It most definitely is not; but I'll wait to voice my opinion until I hear what the ped's suggestion is.

When Bentley was about 3, he had Articulation Disorder. Not with all letters, just some. But because he was our first child & well, we didn't know much (& at that time I followed all 'rules' to a T), we first had his hearing tested @ Cook Children's just to be sure he was hearing all of his vowels & consonants properly. He passed that test with flying colors & at that time, I had proof that my child was ignoring me when he chose - he could hear me just fine. ☺

After that, we saw a Speech Therapist. At that time, they told me even though he was three, he was speaking at the level of an 18 month old. Whoa! Not even remotely close. He had a huge vocabulary! He just got a few consonants backwards. At any rate, & I can't remember exactly, but they wanted to see him twice a week, with us owing approximately $1200 a month. I was told we could get him Speech Therapy at public school for free. At this point, I was working with Bentley consistently & before I could even begin the research for public school, his Articulation Disorder disappeared. And he has never had a problem since.

What I learned from that experience is to not act prematurely when it comes to what children should, or should not, be doing (or saying). They are all created individually & some things they will just develop on their own time. Because Mercedes is just now 16 months old (tomorrow), no way will I prematurely have her tested when I myself have heard her words.

When Mercedes first began talking, she said "uh oh, mommy, cracker, daddy". But then she stopped. For the longest time, she never uttered another word. None of my other children ever did that, but ok. She's her, not them. ☺ The only word she says consistently now is "daaaayyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee" for 'daddy'. She dropped 'daddy' for a short time but then quickly picked it up again.

We frequently hear her spat out a word when she thinks we aren't paying attention. For example, the other day, Kosh barked. All of a sudden, Mercedes said "woof". Just one "woof", but clear as day. She's never said it since. Yesterday, Bentley told her "no, baby". I was in the kitchen & I heard Mercedes say "no!". LOL Then she preceded to say "no, no, no!". She's now saying 'mommy' & 'mama' again, & she says "ahhhhhhhhhh" for 'hot'. I also heard her say "Bentley" the other day & she can say "apple, pwetty & yum". That said, when I ask her to repeat a word, it's seldom she does. If she's in the mood, ok. If not, forget it. Regardless, I think she's doing pretty darn good & I think that's a good variety. (Keep in mind, because of her Hypothyroidism, she could possibly have a delay, but I absolutely think there is no relation.)

So this is where we are at. Honestly, I think she is just like her mama & ain't gonna do nuttin' until she's darn good & ready. I have heard so many people say "My child never said a single word until age 3, & then they never shut up." Knowing this is just another reason I do not want to act prematurely.

My Mercedes has a mind of her own, extremely independent (although, all of mine were independent at her age - trying to come into their own & find their own way) & I'm pretty positive she'll start talking when she's good & ready. In the meantime, we'll just all sit back & watch. And giggle, when she surprises us with a new, short-lived word. ☺



*Speaking of Mercedes, she also has a hernia on her belly button (the medical term escapes me right now). I'm not concerned, but I don't want it to be there as she grows. The ped thinks it's nothing, although it is more than obvious (although, so far, it doesn't portray any serious signs but it easily could so I keep an eye on it). Because she is a girl, should it not recede, we will discuss surgery but not until at least age 3. I would never want her to be embarrassed or self conscious of something that's an easy fix. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa! Lily also has an umbilical hernia! It didn't show up until about 6 months of age (I think)....our ped. is also going to see if it corrects by itself and if not, we'll think about surgery later. Wow!
I didn't know our little girls had that in common!

Katie