Monday, January 28, 2008

I guess I don't get it.

We made it to church yesterday. All six of us. I just love the way that sounds. :)

As far as I'm concerned, my family is a walking testimony. We can't have biological children - we had rely on God to help us. He did. Four times. Regarding our growing family & our newest blessing - I guess I just don't understand comments such as these...

"This is your last one, right?" - said sarcastically from a girl who used to be in our previous SS class.

"Do you feel like the old woman who lived in a shoe?" - said a friend/SS teacher. (btw, I replied "No, I don't" as I looked at her dumbfounded.

"How many kids are y'all gonna get?" - said our previous SS class teacher.

None of these comments came from anyone in our current SS class. :)

My tolerance to tacky comments such as these has come to an end. I've just about had it with rude & insensitive comments & quite honestly, I can find absolutely no reason why I should just shut up & smile when people talk ignorantly to me. To us. No more. We are not a freak show because we have four children. We are BLESSED!

I'm so dang proud to have four children. So proud. So honored. I am in a place in my life that I never could have imagined. I'm a great mom. My husband is an amazing dad. Our children are healthy, happy, beautiful, well-mannered children. There must be a reason God keeps blessing us with them. From here on out I will politely yet matter-of-factly remind people that a "congratulations!" and/or "she's beautiful!" and/or "God's never failing!" are in order & appreciated - not unnecessary, inconsiderate comments. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! I am sorry that sometimes people just don't think before they speak. I definitely can say to you Congrats and God is so good:) I am however a tad jealous...although I was blessed with a biological son I have been unable to conceive again and have been in this adoption world for what seems an eternity. I totally trust my God and wait on Him for our bundle of joy. You are blessed and He is worthy to be praised!! Keep up the good work and ENJOY:)
Blessings from Virginia,
Lynn

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you have to hear insensitive comments such as these! I have a good friend who has 5 biological children whose husband won't even take them all out to eat together for the stares that they get. That is just SOOOO not right! I don't understand how having children, adopted or otherwise, could be considered anything other than a HUGE blessing from God! I have three kids, 2 bio and 1 adopted, and I would feel so blessed if God wanted to add another to the mix! May God bless you and your sweet family....and post more pics of that gorgeous baby of yours :)

Laurie

Michelle said...

I've got three words for ya.. People are odd! No clue why folks think they need to share their little comments. I think it comes down to folks not thinking before they speak. I just ignore it and move on.

Oh, you need to change your banner at the top of your blog.. somebody's sweet face is missing. ;)