Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My 2nd BFF.

(Find my 1st BFF here. :)

You know what I did today? I cooked a roast. A roast with onions, potatoes & carrots. Yummmmmmmmm. You can just taste it, can't you? Ü

This is how it went.

I got up all Betty Crockery. Oh yes I did. I fed the kids breakfast, got them settled, & then got ready to prepare our meal. And preparing I did.

I peeled my cute, little red potatoes & cut them up. Am I the only person in the world who loves raw potatoes? Oh my. Smother those suckers in salt & it's like gold in a bottle. Ok. Moving on.

I peeled my onion & cut it all up. While I cried.

Got out my bag (yes, bag) of itty, perfect, peeled carrots.

Retrieved my $TWENTY dollar roast from the frig. Can't I like buy a whole cow for that?! Rubbed my roast with salt & pepper & Lawry's. I'm a Lawry's freak. I even put Lawry's on toast.

Just kiddin'. :)

Loaded up most of my veggies in the crock pot. Dumped Onion Soup all over them. Ooohhhh it smelled so good already.

Picked up my big ol' honkin' roast & tossed it in. Then decorated around the roast with the rest of the veggies & soup. It was a beautiful masterpiece.

By this time I was so proud I think I was actually singing. Ü

Turned the crock pot (or 'slow cooker', whatever your preference :) on, grabbed the lid & we were ready to go! Woohoo! Dinner tonight! :)

Except for the fact that the lid fell in the crock pot when I set it on top. I was stymied for a second - I was positive I had the right lid & the right pot. I got a little confused. Why did the lid fall into the pot?

Because I forgot to put all the food into crock! Or the pot! Whatever it is! I loaded up all the yummy food & had dumped it all into the crock without the pot!

Sigh.

But all was not lost. I use these. My new 2nd BFF. Really. If you haven't tried these, you must. You absolutely must.

So I pulled the pot out of the dishwasher, grabbed the liner with yummies out of the crock, & delicately put it all back together. So it would now cook. Properly. Our dinner. Only it didn't look so pretty after the transition.

We had some errands to run so off we went. When we got home, I was going to phone hubby & tell him to run home just to smell the house. LOL You know how good the house smells when a roast cooks all day? Oh the anticipation. So home we went...

To no glorious aroma. Nothin'. That's weird. Shouldn't I be smelling something after two hours?

Over to the crock pot I went & the flippin' thing wasn't turned on. How did it get turned off? Me? Did I bump it? Did I turn it off when I realized I was burning a plastic liner because the plastic liner wasn't in the pot & I was fearing a fire? Oh yea, that was it.

So by this time my language was not so kid friendly. I turn the @$#&%$ back on, but this time on high for 4 hours verses low for 8.

Our lovely dinner was ready @ 8:00 p.m. tonight. We ate Popeye's Chicken.

I guess I'll try to heat it or something tomorrow. And if that don't work, it'll probably end up in the pool. At this point, who cares. We've smelled roast cooking for so long we're all about to hurl.

Hubby is already telling me how to heat it up properly. He has no faith in me. For the life of me, I just can't figure out why. Ü

Regarding the private blog - I'm still undecided. :o) I hate when people ruin things for me (remember I'm now moderating comments but today it hasn't been necessary - still a great option). But, I do have all of your emails. My goodness, who knew? Who knew so many followed my goofy blog? I'm honored! Thank you! You'll know if & when I go private. Ü

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa - I'm sorry to say that I am laughing hysterically at your latest blog entry. Only you, my dear, would something like this happen to. Please don't let this mishap deter you from trying to cook a fancy-smancy meal again in the future. Or, you can always order take-out and plop it in the crock pot and make it look like you have been cooking all day :)I think Glade makes a Pot Roast scented candle, in case you need it!
Rebecca

Mommy Brain said...

LMAO Awesome story!

threadbiz01 said...

Haha!! It honestly sounds like something I would do. I am not the best in the kitchen and I would sooo do that. Too funny =)
Lynn