Friday, April 3, 2009

Exposure Level meter.

I discovered this a.m. that I have never used this great feature! Sometimes I really am an airhead. ;o)

Basically the function of this feature is to let you know if you have proper exposure in your photo (according to what the camera thinks). It lets you know if your photo is underexposed (not enough light) or overexposed (too much light). You can adjust your camera settings accordingly until the meter reads -0-, which basically means your photo then has proper lighting. Sigh.

For almost a year now, even though my old camera has this feature as well as my new one, I have been winging it. Teehee. (Which honestly, probaby is/was a good thing & helped me learn more regarding lighting.) I've been going off my eye which is fine, but it would have been nice to have used that meter to help me out a bit! The great thing is you don't have to use the 'proper lighting' that the camera suggests, but it's there if you need/want it, as a guide. And of course since everyone is looking for something different in photos, especially exposure-wise (so many now-a-days overexpose & they love their photos that way), I assume many choose to ignore the meter suggestions. Obviously for the past year, I've been included in the 'many'. :)

Nonetheless, as a beginner, it would have come in sooooo handy in choosing SS & Aperature. Good Lord have mercy. I really should read manuals. ☺

I'll begin to play around with it now! Especially since I learned & understand all the camera settings. I know exactly what they are for & how they work. I'm curious as to how many pros actually use (or, use it as a guide) the Exposure Level. Maybe none, maybe many! I found it quite humorous that the feature has been there all along & because I'm, well, me, I never paid a bit of attention. Better late than never!

Happy Friday!

No comments: