Monday, April 20, 2009

The uncasted Cub.

Last Thursday, Audi's cast came off lickety split! I let dad sit this one out. He stayed home with the girls & I ran Audi to the Orthopedist.

Here we are justa waitin'. Thought I'd test the light which was actually pretty good! I must admit, I think he was the cutest casted kid I've ever seen. ☺



Here's the nurse with the little 'vibrating' saw that split the cast. She did it on the top & the underneath side of the cast. He was a little skeptical...



These were like lobster tongs that split the cast apart after she cut it.





Then she took a pair of scissors, followed along the line(s) that she cut in the cast, & cut the 'sock' that was under the cast. Then she just took her fingers, pried a little, & popped that sucker right off!



He's just a little hesitant to move his arm...



As you can see his arm worked just fine - he was Magnadoodling like a champ while waiting for the dr. to come back in. ☺


The last step was a final x-ray just to confirm the new bone was forming properly. She said it's healing better than most! Yippee! This is the cutest x-ray! Look at his little hand! :) On the left, if you look closely, you can still see the jagged break! I asked the dr. about that & she said that will completely dissipate in about 3 months. You can see the new bone growing on either side of the break. Fascinating! I never knew about all the breakage/bonage stuff. ☺


He's just so darn cute I snapped another before we left. :)


When the cast was removed, there was hardly any odor. We were prepared for the stinkies! ;o) His arm was clean as a whistle, too! Just a teeny bit of dirt around his hand from playing t-ball. His arm hair was still there & he had minimal pain. She said he might need Motrin for quite some time but heck, I think I only gave it to him once. By the end of Thursday, he was moving his arm as if it had never been in a cast. His arm was 'peeling' a little bit, kind of like a sunburn, & she told me to lotion it for 2 weeks. Within 2 days the dryness was gone.

Even though he broke his arm, I think he had it kind of easy, which is great! He's a trooper. Staples first, then a broken arm - I wonder what catastrophe will transpire next?!


(Photos taken on manual, no flash. No editing either - I was just too lazy. :)

No comments: