Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I said no.

Right, wrong or indifferent, I said no.

Bentley has his 2nd field trip next week. Believe it or not, it's to a swimming pool for 5 hours. Supposedly it's about "pool safety"...but...I just can't do it.

Bentley still swims with his life jacket on except here at home. Where I am. Where husband is. Where we are constantly paying attention. He is getting really good at swimming without the jacket, but not good enough yet. Not good enough to be alone with strangers. It only takes such a short amount of time for someone to drown. I know, because my gynocologist lost her daughter she adopted from China to a drowing last year. If it can happen to doctors, it can happen to anyone.

In my heart, I just can't risk it. They are going to the Natatorium & I have been there - the pool is seriously huge & deep. They have swim meets there. Granted there is a shallow end (Bents took swimming lessons there a few years ago) but none the less...I said no.

Accidents happen. And even though I could state on the permission form (which for this particular field trip is 2 pages long - listing doctors, hospitals, etc.) that he must wear a life jacket - to me it's just too big of a risk. He is disappointed & I feel bad for him. Especially if all the kids go. As of today, only 5 children (out of 19) had returned their permission forms. So maybe there are many skeptical parents besides just me.

I could never forgive myself if I let him go & something happened. I'm just trying to follow my heart. I can't live without my Bentley. I don't want to. And I'm not saying something would happen - but it could. Quite honestly, I really can't believe the district would allow such a liability trip.

I hope Bentley forgives me someday. Do you think I made the right decision?

6 comments:

April said...

I wouldn't let me kiddos go either. I agree, too much rish involved!

Minnie said...

I agree with you 100%. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. To be honest, I find in those situations, there are never enough eyes looking after the kids.

Kristy said...

I would NOT let my kid to either. I'm having a panic attack just thinking about it! I agree 100000% with you! No way No how!!! :)

Stefanie said...

I agree you are making a good decision. Many parents tend to blindly sign things the school sends home because they figure "the kids must be safe since it's school-related." But even in the best of circumstances, bad things can happen. Perhaps by you doing this, other parents will follow your lead, and the school will reconsider doing this year to year.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! No way I'd let Charles go. I am with you in that it's a bad idea for a field trip anyway. Maybe keep him home and plan a fun day??? That might lesson his disappointment.
Christa

threadbiz01 said...

I agree too!! It is hard making those decisions and knowing our children are disappointed but you do have to follow your heart.