Friday, February 22, 2008

Reality check.

Thank you guys for your comments regarding Bentley & the swimming pool field trip. I appreciate all your help & I thank you for confirming that I'm doing what is best. Especially Christa - because she's a public school teacher! Low & behold you won't believe what message was just left on my machine.

"Hello Mrs. B? This is Bentley's PE teacher. I understand you have some questions regarding the swim program on Friday the 7th. I assure you this is a very, very safe program. There are a lot of lifeguards - about 3 or 4 at a time. We have done this program for a couple of years now, so I can assure you it is safe "thing" (yes, she used the word thing). We wouldn't do it if it weren't safe. The kids wear lifejackets, & you can even come & hang out too. So please give me a call so we can discuss this. This is part of the PE TEKS, so the kids are really suppose to go if they can. My number is (she doesn't know the school's number & had to turn around & ask someone...duh)..."

1.) I don't have any questions. I never said I did. I simply sent an email to his teacher informing her that Bentley will not attend because the risk (of losing his life!!) is too high. Period. Done & over with.

2.) A lot of lifeguards? 3 or 4? That's even scarier as there are several classes going! There would be approximately 60 children for 3 or 4 lifeguards??? Now I know I made the right decision!

3.) The kids really need to go? Then why is there a "permission form" to sign? And why does the form state "mandatory attendance is not required".

4.) I can come & hang out? Then why does it state on the "questions & answers" part of all the forms (6 pages for the particular field trip...what does that tell you) sent home regarding this *safe* field trip that parents are allowed to come, but "asked to sit upstairs in the spectator's area". And that I quote from the forms.

5.) All the kids wear lifejackets? Ok, I just reread the waiver & I obviously misread it the first time. It does state that each child is required to wear a lifejacket unless the waiver is signed (I thought they didn't wear lifejackets unless requested). That's great. That's the way it should be. However, what happens when a group of boys start goofing around (come on, these children are 6 years old!) & one of them takes off their lifejacket? Accidents happen. All the time. Daily. Every single second.

6.) My son knows pool safety. Not only has he taken swimming lessons (which is none of their business) but we've had a pool in our frickin' backyard since he was born. Not just this house, but our previous house too (which is none of their business). As far as I'm concerned, pool safety can be taught in the classroom if they feel it's that pertinent.

7.) And the thing that infuriates me the most is that they are probably discussing all this with Bentley- upsetting him even more!! He is fine with it (for now) & they are probably resurfacing his disappointment! Now that makes me angry.

Well, they have ruffled my feathers again. Why can't they leave well enough alone? I've said this a million times - never could I have dreamed public school would be this difficult. Never could I have imagined it would be like this! And my oldest child has only been in school 2 stinkin' years! 1/2 day last year & now all day this year, & the year isn't even over! The money they (school) demand for this/that/the other, the amount of papers/nonsense that are sent home daily (it's unbelievable actually - some days it's more that 4 days mail that I receive & I receive a lot of mail), do this/do that, fundraiser this/fundraiser that (hubby & I recently had to reimburse some people out of our own pocket for fundraisers paid for but not supplied), pizza night for this/go-eat-here for that, school program & costume needed, sign this/sign that, party here/party there, blah, blah, blah. Holy cow! I've said this too, how am I going to do this with four children?

My stars respect me as a parent - if I choose for my child not to attend, so be it! Be so kind to inform me if he will stay at school or if I need to come & pick him up. Simple. Move on with life, do your job & don't even attempt to do mine! Never in my life will I compromise the safety of my child(ren). And I will not change my mind on the swim program trip.

3 comments:

threadbiz01 said...

I am shocked that in the first grade they are taking a field trip that involves swimming?? I don't know if you know but I have a biological son that is now 19 (I was a bit young when he was born:) and have not been able to conceive over the years so that is why we want to adopt. But anyway-my son never had a field trip that involved swimming and I would def have a hard time with it especially at that age. We sent our son to a private christian school and absolutely loved it and of course any and every field trip included me there...haha. I was even funny about him riding a bus that someone else was driving and having the responsibility of so many children. I just think as mothers we have to follow our instincts about things and although at times we can be overprotective we still have the right in making those decisions.
You stand your ground girl!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of pool safety as required first grade material. Charles is in second and last year we never went to a pool. I also don't consider 3-4 lifeguards as plenty of supervision for that many first graders. Just because kids are wearing life jackets doesn't mean they're safe. They could lose their balance and flip over. This is a law suit (and an injury) waiting to happen. Dumb, dumb, dumb idea.
Christa

Anonymous said...

The only time we have taken a field trip to a pool was when I was teaching SEVENTH graders....they went to an indoor pool and we swam and had pizza......But that was SEVENTH GRADERS.......and if they didn't know how to swim or didn't want to, they played in the sports room, .....basketball etc. And we had many lifeguards.....I am pretty sure it was more than 3 or 4!
I say follow your instincts....
Katie