Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bittersweet 7.


On Sunday, my Bentley turned 7. I guess from here on out all of my children's birthdays will be referred to as 'bittersweet'. I can't stand it. I hate it. I find it so fun & so interesting to watch my children develop into little people. But the thought of them growing up & moving on is more than I care to think about. I guess I thought they'd be with me forever. One can hope. :) I'm sure by age 15 my thought process will probably be different. :) However, I'm not the typical "gripe & complain about my children" mom so my thought process probably won't be different. I'm proud of that! :)

Bents had a fun day filled with Incredible Pizza, gifts, cards & an ice cream cake. We made it 7 whopping years without one single video game. This year, due to his pleas, we caved. He loves his new Gameboy or whatever the heck it is. :)

I'm beginning to be guilt stricken that Bentley has never had a birthday party. (Except when he turned one year old.) Next year - that has got to change. I have no clue who to invite since I have no family. Possibly his schoolmates if he is still enrolled in public school or friends from church. I know he will be so excited to have a 'real' birthday party so I will indeed make it happen. Somehow, someway. That's what us moms do. :)

My 7 year old Bentley. My 5 lbs. 13 oz. preemie baby. He is absolutely a wonderful person, inside & out. I love him. I cherish him. I adore him. I am so very proud of him. He is one determined, strong-willed little boy who is extremely hard headed (like his mom, you say? :). We have lots of hurdles to jump because of this & I'm honored to be the chosen one to jump them with him. Without a doubt, he will blossom far into life. And since I can't stop him from growing, I'll sit back & watch as he develops into an amazing young man. And I will enjoy every single minute along the way. :)


Gotta love his goofy faces. :) I used to scold him out of frustration (when I wanted the perfect photo), but I have finally realized his silly faces are part of him & who he is. Now I welcome them. :)

In the above photo you can see (a tad) how red his face & ears are. That's the Fifth's Disease. Yesterday when I picked him up from school it had kicked into high gear. His arms & hands were awful! He has the rash all over but it has really intensified which I do not like. Audi woke up with Fifth's Disease the day after Bents was diagnosed. Oy! :)

Happy Birthday to my beautiful boy. :)

3 comments:

April said...

Ahhh you have a 7 year old. It will be wierd when Clarisse turns 7 this summer!!!

Fifth disease...indeed an interesting thing! We had it here last spring/summer and I still have a hard time imagining that something like that isn't contagious after it looks so rashy! Oh well, it makes it easier to not worry!

katd said...

This post made me cry!! Seriously cry. How beautiful, Melissa. It is so very bittersweet to watch them grow. And you should be so very proud of the job you've done as their mama. You are amazing and so are your children. Happy 7th Birthday, Cade!! Way to go talking the parents into a Gameboy :)

Melissa said...

I know what you mena about not being the "gripe and complain mama". I hate when others do that even in "joking", my kids are the greatest blessings I've received and it's obvious you feel the same about yours :)