Tuesday, April 15, 2008

He's caught in the middle.

I suggest you don't read if you don't want to 'hear' me complain about public school. I think I have just about had enough but I'll continue to blog about it for my own future reference.

Yesterday, Bentley comes home & says "you have homework". Now excuse me, I'm 40 years old, done with my schooling - no, I don't have homework. Never again will I have homework. Obviously, Bent's teacher told her class that their parents have some homework tonight.

What he is referring to is a long survey about children walking or riding a bike to school. Big whoop. I don't care, & I won't do it. It doesn't apply to us & it never will (we live too far from the school). The survey will go directly in the trash. I didn't tell Bentley that - I just told him I'd look at it later. He reminded me all evening "you have homework". Sometimes I think he is brainwashed by a flippin' school district.

This a.m. when I got up, Bentley had sifted thru my 'work' pile (which is a huge no-no) & pulled out my 'homework'. He put it smack dab on top so I would see it first. He is adamant I complete that dadgum survey. I now realize my cutey son is stuck in the middle of a dictating school district & a mean mommy who won't comply. I feel bad for him.

Last week Bentley was sent home with his...may I just say...'phenomenal' report card. Can you tell I'm so proud of him? :) Like a good servant, I signed where I needed to sign & returned it. I have no problem signing to prove I did indeed see it. The next day, he brought it home again. "You forgot to sign the envelope". What? I signed the darn report card where I was supposed to! Screw the envelope! (Yes I'm getting a little testy :) I don't have time for stupid, repetitive crap. I then told Bentley I would not sign in. Husband rolled his eyes at me, as sometimes I think he thinks I should jump thru every dadgum hoop I am instructed to jump (or he wants me to for Bent's sake). I signed the report card, why do I need to sign it again/an envelope? Of course Bentley's face dropped to disappointment & that gets me every time. I grabbed the $%^!&@ envelope, grabbed my pen & scribbled jibberish (which is quite obvious as I have pretty impeccable handwriting - so believe me, they got the point) on the line I was to sign my name on. We returned it again. I guess my scribbles sufficed as he has not brought it home again.

The church we are considering joining, from what I'm told, has an amazing homeschool support group. This church is extremely organized & professional so that news doesn't surprise me one bit. Homeschool is so popular here where we live & I think that will work for our benefit.

8 weeks of school left. I have never been so excited to see something END! I swear to you I am counting the days.

**Husband just called to say he read the survey this a.m. He agreed to trash it but he also said he is just livid (um...yay! It's about time!). Evidently, the last question on the survey is "what grade level did you complete?" He says he's calling the district. This nonsense survey might just work on my behalf after all. :)

It's now 10:05 a.m. here & everyone is just now waking up. What gives? Time to feed some tiny tykes & then off to run errands.

Oh, & in case you've already forgotten - 8 WEEKS OF SCHOOL LEFT! Yeehaw! :)

**You see, the delete button rocks. I have a certain someone who constantly deletes my comments, & my comments are no where near insulting. I have the same ability. :)

What you, Ms. 'Anonymous', isn't aware of is that I used to have another blog. It clearly stated the majority (but not all) of the issues we've had with OUR district, but I don't have those posts copied over to this new blog. Not that I have to explain, but what the heck. We've had severe issues with OUR district from day 1 in Kindergarten. Issues that began with my child hurt, crying & bleeding on the playground & no one cared & sent him to the nurse...all the way to my kindergartener having 7 pages of homework & the list goes on. And on. :)

If you, Ms. 'Anonymous', were to read all of my posts, you would certainly know that I have stated I do believe it is OUR district that has the issue(s), not public school in general. And it's very rare that I am discussing teachers. Although I have, but those issues have been addressed & rectified. Typically I speak of OUR Public School District.

I have a sister-in-law who teaches in public school (another district) & she does the most fabulous job ever. She is highly respected as a teacher & a person. She has helped me tremendously regarding homeschool & OUR district's issues. I happen to be one who respects her. I also have another friend who is a public school teacher (again, not in OUR district) & she too is amazing. Unfortunately, the teachers don't make the rules. They abide by them. And many teachers (although not all) are assets to a district. And, as a matter of fact, I dearly love Bentley's teacher. She's a doll & she is very good to my son. :)

Pulling my son out of school is one of the most important decisions I could make. I will take whatever time is necessary to be sure I make the best possible decision. It's not about "threatening" to take him out of school - it's about taking the time, praying, researching, asking questions, gathering information & the like to be sure removing him from public school (in OUR district) will benefit him & our family. Decisions such as these NEVER should be hastey, but long & thought out. Period.

Rude, hateful, insensitive, unappreciated, unvalidated & insulting comments won't be allowed on my blog. It's quite a simple fix really - stop reading my blog if it upsets you. Information that is disturbing to me (regarding any topic) is documented on my blog for my future reference. I'm not your 'typical joe' & I don't have a passive personality. I absolutely will not apologize for that. I am my own person, I have my own thoughts. I am a unique person, created by God, to be my own individual. I am 100% pure & authentic. :) Therefore, if something on my blog is bothersome to you, please don't read it & certainly don't leave your tacky comments.

In other news, hubby did indeed phone the school district. I had no prompting in that what-so-ever. :) The run around he received is quite funny. I'll post that later tonight. Just another point that proves OUR district is screwed up. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous said...

I swear it wasn't me this time Melissa!!!
Rebecca M.

Melissa :) said...

ROFLOLOL Rebecca!! :) :)

I know that! xoxo :)

katd said...

Oh Melissa! I am so sorry you're enduring attacks from commenters. It's always funny to me how brave people are to post anonymously. :) It's ridiculous. You are an amazing mother, and you choose what is best for your family. Who in the world cares what anyone else thinks? You rock. :)

Anonymous said...

I must have come late in the game. I didn't see the tacky comment. I personally think if you leave tacky comments, you MUST include your name! I hate that you guys are having such a negative public school experience. Melissa, you and I have talked several times about homeschooling vs. public school. I am a public school fan, however I do understand why you are unhappy and I think you would probably love homeschooling. I know you'll do what's best for you and your family. On another note, way to go Cade on your awesome report card!!!!!! Whoo! Hoo!
Aunt Christa

Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

threadbiz01 said...

I am just catching up on all of this Melissa and just want you to know it was not me that left the tacky comment...I agree with Christa in that I would leave my name if I felt I needed to leave an opinion...everyone should.
Anyway-sorry that you are having so much trouble with your district and I pray you have resolve soon.

YOU ROCK!!!
Lynn