Thursday, March 19, 2009

Temporary cast.



Yesterday as Audi was up on his bunk getting ready for his nap, he said he heard a "pop" & his left arm instantly starting hurting bad. Then it didn't hurt. Then it did hurt. Then it didn't hurt. So we watched it & monitored it, not really knowing what to think. We asked him if he felt like playing outside & he said yes. So out we went, assuming he was 'milking' some sort of bump.

Today he was complaining again. It hurt. Then it didn't hurt. Then it did. We kept asking more questions & he kept saying he had no idea how he hurt his arm. Then it hurt again. Then it didn't. So he went to T-Ball practice & hubby said he really favored his left arm the entire time. When they got home, I fed him dinner, tossed him in the shower & hubby (I sat this one out :) ran him to Cook Children's for an x-ray.

Hubby said he saw the x-ray. He thought the bone looked fine. Dr. came in & said his arm is fractured! What? Fractured! Temporary cast tonight - permanent cast tomorrow.

And this darn cute kid just keeps smiling thru it all! There is NO keeping this boy down. And that's why he's had staples in his head & now a cast on his arm. LOL


He's so giddy tonight I'm not sure I can get him to sleep. We've moved his mattress downstairs in the living room because I cannot risk him 1.) being upstairs & 2.) anywhere near those bunk beds, even though we would make him sleep on the bottom until the cast is off. Booger cannot be trusted. ☺

The more we are talking, now we're hearing something different. I figured as much. ☺ Now he's saying that when he was pulling his covers up to cover himself up, he accidentally slammed his left arm down & his elbow smacked the wood, his forearm hit his plastic bed rail. That is when he heard the "pop".

There goes T-Ball! First game was next week. :(

Hubby said when they were leaving the hospital, a male nurse yelled "I have a feeling we'll be seeing you again."

Oh yeah, they will. ☺

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I am laughing at the fact that your son broke his arm, what's wrong with me? :) It's not really funny that he got hurt, just funny that the little stinker is too darn tough for his own good. I'm laughing at him, but I feel sorry for you! LOL I loved the nurse bit!

Rebecca M. said...

Welcome to the world of broken bones. I hope that cutie-patootie's arm heals quickly for him. I'm not surprised that he walked around for a day and wasn't in horrible pain....when Anthony broke both bones in his arm and they popped out of his skin, he didn't cry...he just said "I think I broke my arm" LOL!!! As far as having to wait to get the cast on, they do that because they have to wait for any swelling to go away. If they put the cast on now and his arm was swollen, when the swelling subsides, the cast would be too loose and wouldn't do it's job. If his arm swelled after they put the cast on it could cut off circulation (which happened to Anthony after his first of three surgurical procedures to repair his arm).

Be prepared for a long 6-8 weeks of misery for poor Cason. And it's not too fun when the cast comes off either...

Anonymous said...

Poor guy! sorry this happened! he's a tough little booger, huh?
Katie

Bridget said...

Poor Cason! The lady in Accounts Receivable at the hospital told me that she would see me in a couple of weeks after I paid off Kyle's E.R. bill...it was true! My child is a tough guy too! Hope his arm gets well fast!

::petersen photography:: said...

poor little guy, what a tough sport! he is such a charmer, look at those deep eyes!