Friday, February 27, 2009

Kindergarten.

When Bentley was enrolled in K, he went 1/2 day. Which is completely appropriate for a 5 year old. Obviously he learned what needed to be learned 'cause guess what? He passed & graduated on to 1st grade. Then on to 2nd. Half day K hindered him none. ☺

This year it was on the bond election to enforce full day Kindergarten in our area. It passed. Haven't heard a word about it until today, when a letter was sent home w/ the children.

It's a little confusing & presented itself as quite contradictory, but from what I understand, the elementary school for our area will be full day K starting in 2009. Evidently, our elementary has the space. However, some schools don't have the space just yet, so they will continue to be 1/2 day K. Excuse me, but, what?

So let's just say we have some relatives who live in our town, but we all attend different schools. You know, 'cause there's like bookoos (of schools) here. I have a Kindergartener & they have a Kindergartener. My 5 year old child will go to school from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. My relatives' K'er will attend school from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. (I believe that's the correct schedule for the a.m. class - p.m. class is 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.). Now does that seem fair? Seriously, does that even make a lick of sense? Here's the question - those who attend 1/2 day, will they be able to graduate to 1st grade? Like Bentley did? Yes? They will learn all they need to learn by attending a half day class? Great. Then why is full day K even necessary?

Spite that answer, if one school in our district supports 1/2 day K, then all schools support 1/2 day K. If one school supports full day K, then all schools support full day K. Duh. This is the dumbest district I have ever seen. But that ain't no secret.

Thank you Lord for confirming our choice to move. Let's pray it can be done before next school year begins.

*****************************************

Have I ever mentioned Bentley is a straight A student? Why yes, he does take after me. Heehee. ;o) On his progress report today, he came home with a 100 (one hundred) in Science. Who gets a 100 in Science? And he came home with a 99 in Social Studies. And then the others were right in line with that.

This kid rocks! ☺

5 comments:

Carrie Hayes said...

The kindergarten here is full day, but Im sure they can fit everything into 1/2 day that they learn...Where are you planning to move?

Amy said...

Isn't it weird? Our school has 1/2 day K from 8:15 - 11:30. But just a few blocks away another school does K from 8:15 - 1:00pm for the 2nd half of the year (starting in Jan). I actually think this is a nice way to ease them into a full day for the next year. But it boggles my mind why the district isn't consistent with all the schools. I just don't get it.

Michelle said...

Speaking from a teacher's perspective I don't think any child is ready for all day K at that age. I could say more but I'll just stop there.. :D

Us said...

That sounds very confusing!! I really don't get that! I never taught kinder only first. But I interned in one and really never liked half day....but I do agree that they should transition into a full day. But your lucky thats your only problem!!!! AZ is all messed up when it comes to SCHOOL!!! grrrr:0)that why I'm at home now!:0) Good luck with the move though!:0)

Sarah R. said...

We here in the Phoenix area of AZ have had full day kindergarten for 2 years now, but I believe they are going back to half day starting in the fall of 2009 because of budget problems here. The twins went to full day kdg and I personally loved it. They had already been in school for almost 3 years at half days. Remember they were at a special needs preschool from the time they were 3. So I personally felt they were ready for full day and I was certainly ready for them to be in full day. Now Luke will more than likely be half day in another year and a half.
I think in most cases kids have been in some sort of preschool program before going to kdg and that's why they go to full day.
The reason some schools can't support it is because of the fact that you need more kdg teachers to teach full day kdg. Since you had 1 teacher teaching 2 different classes with half days and now you have to have that many classes at full day for every one teacher that taught 2 classes you need an extra teacher.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.