Saturday, February 21, 2009

Vaseline.



We are Vaseline lovers here. I have a jar in just about every room. I'm even fixing to start putting it on my feet (I have a foot fetish) under socks. But putting it in my daughters' hair is crossing the line. Let me explain.

While having my tedious & monotonous procedure performed Thursday a.m., there were three medical techs in the room with me. Two of them were African American ladies.

One of them didn't have children, but the older lady did. And boy was she quick to dish out the hair maintenance advice to me. Ha! I showed her the photo of my four children; she looked at Jaguar & stated to me it was obvious I had no clue as to what I was doing with her/their hair. Now pardon me, but when Jag's hair is done (as it was in the photo), it is beautiful & her curls are gorgeous! But ok...I listened. I didn't really have a choice. ☺

She began speaking about her two granddaughters who used to live w/ her. She totally lost me while she explained her routine - she obviously handled their hair two different ways. Which made no sense to me, but ok. During my procedure our conversation kept getting interrupted, so maybe I got lost somewhere while trying to listen. But I didn't ask any questions. :)

For one granddaughter, she told me she washed her hair every 3rd day (which is exactly when I wash my girls' hair) & put "Fructise" mousse on it & left it. She didn't mention what she did to it on the in-between days. I wish I would have asked but didn't think to.

Her other granddaughter, for whatever reason, she told me she washed it..."once a month". She then told me I needed to do that with Jag's hair, & then part her hair in sections, & put Vaseline all over her scalp & rub it in (AA hair, in case you didn't know, doesn't produce oil like ours does & that's why the hair care is completely different), & then take more Vaseline & rub it all over the rest of her hair.

Quietly, I gagged. And then internally I thought eeeewwwwwwwww. There is no way I could possibly even attempt that. I'm sorry. That just sounds nasty. She told me her hair was done 2 weeks ago & she hadn't touched it since (it looked decent). Two weeks isn't that bad, I suppose, but a whole month? That would feel awful, I would think. And the one thing I am very conscious of is making sure Jag's hair doesn't feel matted (& it never, ever is - I wouldn't allow that) & gross. The lady did tell me, however, that Jaguar's hair could now be "hot combed". I questioned Jaguars' age (because her hair is so delicate I worry about burning it) but she said Jaguar is now old enough. For a relaxer no, but hot comb, yes. She said to call her & she could refer me to someone who could do it. LOL

I'm still convinced that everyone treats/cares for AA hair different. I have yet to find two people who even remotely do it the same. Which lets me know to keep doing what I'm doing. And as long & my girls' hair looks pretty & healthy & feels good to them - I think I'll keep with my routine. Even if it may be wrong. ☺

All of the ladies were super sweet & hugged me goodbye. LOL I feel so blessed I can make friends anywhere I go. Well, it's not like I give anyone an option. ;o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just know I am not doing Lily's hair "right"...it stresses me out.
I wash it every third day also like you.
But I should be putting something in it every day, faithfully, and I'm not.
Lily's hair is still really short and not really easy to brush or pick out.
The top on her head has a lot more hair than all over.
I think I "killed" the sides of her hair by putting those headbands on for so long. It is now finally beginning to fill in.
This is going to be a long road.........
Katie

Rebecca M. said...

DO NOT put vaseline in Cailyn's hair. My mom has very dry hair - as do I due to our Italian heritage. When I was younger, a hairstylist told my mom to combat the dryness in her hair she should use vaseline in it. She did, and boy was it a mess. Nothing she did would get the vaseline out of her hair - after all, vaseline is waterproof. I remember my mom calling another hair salon and the hairdresser told her that the only way she would get the vaseline out was to wash her hair with powdered Tide laundry detergent. That is what she had to do! It took her several washings with Tide to get rid of the vaseline.

After that, she would use mayonaise to condition her hair and mine. That works like a charm (she coated my hair in mayonaise and then put a shower cap on me and let it sit for 30 minutes.) It worked really well - even if I spent the next few days smelling like egg salad! LOL!!!

I say as long as Cailyn's hair is comfortable for her, and isn't matted down, don't stress over it. She has many years ahead of caring for her hair, let her - and her hair- be a kid for a while. Who cares if it's not conditioned exactly as it should be.

threadbiz said...

I cannot imagine Vaseline in hair??? I def would not do that either. I am pretty sure I have shared that when Destiny goes for her visitation to the paternal AA side she comes home with some type of oily product in her hair. I hate it. I have to use Dawn dish detergent to get it out.
It is ironic how different we are on the issues of hair care isn't it? I mean I am with you Melissa if Cailyn is comfortable and the curls are pretty and tamed then you are doing good with whatever you are doing. I feel the same way with Destiny's hair...it looks pretty with some work and extra effort but putting grease in it braiding it and hiding the beautiful curls is yuck. lol