Monday, August 25, 2008

2nd grade.

I didn't want to go to bed last night. I didn't want today to arrive. But both were inevitable. And he went to his first day of 2nd grade. He was so excited. Not to mention, so cute.


We all walked him in. He headed down his corridor without hesitation. I was grumpy. My summer with him just wasn't long enough.


I snapped my photos & kissed him goodbye. My heart sunk but I did not cry. Fortunately, I had scheduled Mercedes' Endocrin appointment for today. So we did that & went for her bloodwork. Those two tasks kept my mind busy.

At 3:00 p.m. he hopped in my car with the largest, most adorable smile across his face. He had a blast. He loved it. He loves his teacher. He rubbed my arm. I cried while he told me all about it.


He knows how to work me. We had this conversation also.
Bentley: I didn't get my work completed because I was missing you.
Me: Because you were missing me? You mean because you were talking too much.
Bentley: No, I was thinking about you.
Me: You mean you were talking too much.
Bentley: Um, yeah.

And then I took him to Sonic to retrieve his much needed orange slush.
There are no words to describe how much I love him. Words do no justice for the love I feel for this child. He is more than I could ever deserve.
Will sending him off ever get any easier? Because my heart says no.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a great mom. I am so glad he had a great day and that he was HAPPY and loved his teacher! I don't think it will ever get any easier, but be proud you have raised a well rounded, independent child who is doing great! And what a creative mind...."didn't get work done cause he was missing you!" Too cute!
Katie

Melissa said...

Melissa, I LOVE how you cherish your kids! It is so obvious that they are blessings to you and that you wouldn't have your life any other way. That really blesses me :)

Sarah R. (C) said...

Reading your post fills me with guilt for being so happy when the first day of school rolls around. The twins started two weeks ago and I was so happy to see that bus pull away. I know my situation is different because of their autism but I wish I could say that it was sad for me to see them go to school. I love my boys so much but I need a break sometimes.

I am glad he had a great first day and loves his teacher. Hopefully this year will be a good one for all of you. By the way, how did it go with the school supplies? Did everything that you bought pass?

Anonymous said...

I sent of my second grader off yesterday too!! Sad part though, i couldn't even walk him to class...I was told thats why they have orientation!! ugh...but thats what I get for Catholic School!!
I hope you had less anxiety today Mom...

Char