Saturday, September 8, 2012

Homemade granola 'bars'.

These actually turned out really well & my entire family loves them! The recipe is super easy, too!

(I don't sprinkle chocolate chips on top - I only did it for the photos. ;o)



Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups rolled oats.
1 cup whole wheat flour or spelt. (I use whole wheat flour.)
1 tsp. baking soda.
1 tsp. vanilla.
1 cup butter, softened. (I use 1/2 cup of real butter & 1/2 cup of peanut butter.)
1 cup honey. (Spray your measuring cup with nonstick spray before adding honey & the honey won't stick.)

Add-ins: 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used regular milk chocoate chips), 1 cup chopped walnuts, or try any combination of 2 cups or less of dried fruits, sunflower seeds, coconut, nuts, etc. I also add marmallows, craisins, raisins, etc. Really, you can add whatever you like!

Directions:

First, while hands are clean, place parchment paper in 9 x 13 pan.

In a large mixing bowl combine butter & honey.

Then add all ingredients except add-ins. Beat hard until combined.

Stir in add-ins. (I mix with my hands, but it's messy!)

Press mixture into pan - be sure to really jam it in there so your bars don't fall apart.

Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into bars. (I let these sit for hours, not 10 minutes. They are very sticky! Sometimes I put them in the frig.) When cool, I dump pan upside down on foil & pull off parchment paper. Otherwise, it's a mess. This works great!

Done! My family eats the entire pan in one night!



5 comments:

Bridget said...

Those look yummy and easy!!

Launa said...

Those look awesome! I am going to try them soon... and print out the recipe to put in my book!!

Melissa :) said...

Test...

Unknown said...

Yum, I want to try this!

Unknown said...

I love the signature on your page too!