Saturday, January 10, 2009

Audi's head injury. Original post Aug. 24, 2007.

We had a church function to attend tonight. Audi & Jaguar were down for a nap (Bentley was @ work w/ hubby). I took a shower, jamming to the radio, doing my hair/makeup, blah, blah, blah. Getting ready to go out.

I head upstairs to get Audi & Jaguar up & get them dressed to go. As I reach the stairs, I hear someone crying. I assumed it was Jags, that she must have climbed out of her crib & opened her door. Nope. It was Audi. Very unusual for Audi, as he never leaves his room. Heck, he never leaves his bed. As I'm hurrying up the stairs, this is our conversation:

"Audi, what's wrong?"

"I hurt my head."

"You hurt your head? AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" (enter loud panic scream here)

I grab Audi & run downstairs. He is covered in blood. Covered. I try to gather my thoughts & decide the rational thing to do. I phone 911. The lady stays on the phone with me & won't let me hang up until paramedics arrive. Finally, lots of guys come walking in. They take over & I then phone hubby. I don't think I have ever shook so bad in my life.

Somehow, someway, Audi split his head open on the bookcase attached to his bed (we now know he was jumping on his bed & when he landed, he hit the corner of the shelf). My poor little guy bled for probably 30 minutes. Or longer. I shiver to think about it. He didn't even come down & get me! Thank God he's ok. He never lost consciousness (that we know of) - I can't even think about what would or could have happened if he had. I didn't even know he was hurt. 4 1/2 hours & 3 shiney staples later, all is ok.

If you click on the photo, a clearer version should pop up. Yes that is blood smeared on his face. His hands were completely covered in blood - that was his main concern. The paramedic cleaned off his icky hands, laughing because Audi was so bothered by the blood on his hands & under his fingernails. At first they thought they needed to transport him to the hospital. Then they thought they needed to transport me to the hospital. Ha! Ultimately they decided we could take him, if I wasn't the driver. Sheesh.
















This photo - well, hurts my heart. Major.



All those brown 'dots' are actually deep drips of blood. And then of course all the smeared blood. Audi was trying to clean his hands by rubbing them all over the carpet.



Steak-N-Shake after hospital.



After his bath. Three metal, tiny staples. I thought he need more like 5 staples, but hey, I'm no doctor. (They told me I could wash his hair, but tonight only. The bath water literally turned red from all the blood.)



My boy is one tough boy. I was so proud of him tonight. He laughed & hammed it up all night long. Everyone fell in love with him, naturally. I'm assuming he can get anything he wants from me for at least the next 7 days. ☺

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this happened. My heart sank at the "blood prints". I am so glad it was not worse than 3 staples, although I'm not saying it wasn't traumatic. When Leah was about 2 years old, she hit her head and I thought it had split open. Luckily it hadn't. Apparently, the head is one of the worst places to receive a cut of any kind due to the amount of blood.

I'm glad it turned out OK for you guys & we're definately praying that everything heals correctly.

We love you guys!

Gail
Aug. 24, 2007. 10:36 p.m.

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! Thank God he's okay! He's so stinkin' cute, Melissa! Love the head wrap!

Carol
Aug. 25, 2007. 7:28 a.m.

Anonymous said...

Ok I lost it...tears tears tears!

Melissa I'm so sorry. :( :(

I've been through something similar with Laini and the feeling is awful. SO glad he's ok!! This reminds me to reiterate my 'don't get out of bed' rule unless it's an emergency and you or someone is hurt then scream for mom or dad!!!

Gotta go blow my nose...

Kristy
Aug. 25, 2007. 10:11 a.m.

Anonymous said...

WOWZER! That is amazing! You know what is fun...the paramedics had to of loved the special time they had with your son. Usually they deal with so much bad, bad stuff, that to be able to have a great time with your son, what a blessing :) ! I bet Cason made their days!

Crazy stuff raising kids...I am so glad all is well in your home now!

April
Aug. 25, 2007. 11:11 a.m.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including a picture of yourself too! It is always a treat to see the mommas with the kids :) !

April
Aug. 26, 2007. 6:41 a.m.

Anonymous said...

Melissa!! Oh my gosh; those pictures just broke my heart...and then made me smile when I saw that beautiful face of his! What a trooper!! I'm sure this will be something that winds up being much more tough on you than on him. How scary!! Soooo glad he's okay. :)

Kat
Aug. 26, 2007. 9:29 a.m.

Anonymous said...

April I agree. ;)

Kristy
Aug. 27, 2007. 11:05 a.m.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with April!
That kid is so stinkin cute...even with a gauze-wrapped head! Glad he's ok...I would have been totally shaken, too!

Amanda
Aug. 28, 2007. 8:26 p.m.