Friday, January 9, 2009

So you had a bad day.

Man I'm in some kind of a funk today. Not a happy day at all which isn't typical for me.

It started before I got out of bed - I noticed my legs were aching severely. A lot of times when I get really tired, my legs hurt. They do it so often I really don't think about it. Usually after sleeping it off, the following day the aching is gone. This time though, they hurt really bad last night & were still hurting this a.m. I actually took Advil @ 8:30 a.m. for the pain. I don't know what that's all about but it just started my day off wrong.

Then we get to the pediatrician for Mercedes' 1 year check up. I love our ped. We've been there since Bentley was 3, so almost 5 years, I think. It took me 3 previous peds to find this one (Bents was severely ill with dangerous croup & no one would help! I phoned this dr. begging & pleading - they fit me right in & got him exactly what he needed. I honestly believe he would have suffocated had I not contacted this new ped). Problem is, everyone loves this ped. Meaning, his business has boomed. They built a new, larger facility & I kid you not, within one month, they outgrew it. They have already added on. More business means you need more help. Lots of drs. Which I was ok with because I knew them all. But now the office continues to grow & now they have a 2nd location, which means even more new drs. & but more importantly, much less availibility to get in with the regulars. That, I have an issue with. I think children are most comfortable seeing the drs. they are familiar with & I'm more comfortable as well.

So today we had a new nurse & I'm quite confident she didn't measure Mercedes' length accurately (deja vu). They are so busy, & get in such a rush to get in & get out, that they really just go with whatever number they get. I think the weight is close enough but I'm not happy with the length (that OCD thing I have)...but whatever. Saw a new ped. Dunt like her. Not one bit. Won't see her again. Tried to book Mercedes' 15 month appointment today. In advance. So we can request who we want. Well, well, well, their schedule isn't even in the computer yet for three months out. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Anyway, I am so tired of being told what to do with MY babies. Now typically my regular ped is very good about not doing this & that is one reason I so highly respect him/them. They make their suggestions but pretty much say "but do it your way" which I appreciate. Being the grumpy mood that I'm in, I wasn't up for hearing "you need to have her off the bottle by the next visit". Kiss my foot, lady. I'll take MY baby off her bottle when I get darn good & ready. At age one I do basically take them off the bottle, except for one at bedtime. Never had any issues & I don't expect any now. That said, if I want to give my baby a bottle every day, 4, 5, 6 times a day, until she's two, then that's what I'll do. Keep your nose out. As long as my baby is fed & clean & healthy & attended too, then it ain't none of your concern.

(Told you I was in rare form today.)

Mercedes got three shots today. Without going into long detail, vaccinations have always been a concern of ours. Moreso my husband than myself. We looked into delaying some of the vaccines years ago & even spoke in length about it w/ our ped (who is completely pro-vaccinating). Regarding vaccinations, hubby feels "these procedures need to be changed - babies don't need all these shots especially given at the same time & what the heck are they for?" & I'm the 'shut up, do it & follow the rules' sort of person. Which I'm getting really tired of.

So during/after the shots, Mercedes went into distress. Which she has done from the minute we brought her home when she was 4 days old. The kind of distress that does not happen often, so when it does, you can bet your rear I'm hooking it as fast as I can to get to her. Being she already has a security issue, I'm off to calm & comfort her as quickly as I can. Anyway, when she went into distress the nurse even commented that she has never seen any baby react "not like that". Considering my mood, my anger began to escalate. Why is my baby getting three frickin' shots? All at the same time? Can't they at least be spaced? And why do I know what shots she's receiving, yet, not really know? Why didn't we take care of this years ago when we discussed it? Why did I not research all these vaccinations & say YES to the ones we approve of & NO to the ones we don't? Bring on Jenny McCarthy because I so agree with her.

We've been home for a while now but I'm still - oh I don't know - disgusted. I guess I just get so frustrated with myself, especially when I don't follow my gut instinct. And I know to. I am proving to myself over & over to be me, not to be a 'follower' & to follow my gut because it will never lead me wrong. It hasn't yet. Anyway, needless to say hubby was happy to head to the office today. LOL

****************************************

This is what I was doing exactly one year ago today, at this very time. Approx. 1:00 p.m. I do not lie. Notice the clock on the wall in one of the photos. LOL

I met her: (if you recall I was alone, because hubby was still in MN)



And fell in love instantly. Again.



Weird shot below, I know, but I don't have many from the 1st visit. Here I was speaking w/ the social worker & another social worker snapped a photo.



Precious baby girl. ♥

1 comment:

Rebecca M. said...

Can't believe that it's been a year already! Seems like yesterday. She is a beautiful, amazing little girl. God knew what he was doing when he put her in your arms. You can tell by the look on your face and the look of peace that Caibs has that she *knew* that Mommy had finally come for her.

In a side note - I agree with the "issues" with vaccinations. I have done a lot of research, and have a few opinions (if you can believe that LOL!) on that whole topic. E-mail me and I would be glad to share what we do and don't do in regards to shots.