Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Endocrinologist appointment.

We had a great appointment today.

The funny thing that happened was when they weighed Mercedes & exclaimed she weighed 23 lbs. Hahaha! Now that's funny. The child is 25.7 lbs. as of 4 days ago. :) However, at the ped last week I knew her length was not accurate. They stated she is 31 1/2 inches. At the appointment today, the measuring was completely accurate, & her correct length is 30 3/4 inches. She was nice & straight & was measured properly. ☺

Because she is now one, she can start seeing the Endocrin every three months versus every other month. Yay! Less blood/labwork for my girl. Which is good considering today they had to stab her in each arm before locating a vein. Not only is it painful for her, it's very painful for mom. Sometimes they have such a difficult time, they poke her over 3 or 4 times. I HATE it.

Mercedes has done so well on her medication, & her level has stayed so consistent, the dr. has never needed to adjust (which is not typical) the amount and/or miligrams and/or dosage she receives daily. What this means is at age 3, when her brain is completely developed, they will take her off of the medication for a trial run. Either her thyroid will work normal from there on out or, she'll go back on her Levoxyl, probably for the rest of her life.

The thought of removing her off her medication scares me to death. Because, once removed from the medication, we will watch for 'symptoms' which will occur immediately. I.e. sleeping way too much, skin changes, etc. I don't know if I can do that. Take her off something that has worked for her so perfectly, while I quietly sit & watch her body possibly go thru drastic falters (for lack of a better word). Should that happen, the Levoxyl will be started again, immediately, & she will suffer absolutely no long term damager. The thought of it though...

Other wonderful news is that we still, at this time, see NO delays what-so-ever due to her thyroid. And of course that is a huge blessing. My heavens, she is a huge blessing.

(In other news, I will be attempting to take her one year photos on Friday. Wish me luck! If I can't swing it, I'll just take her somewhere. :) Hubby is bringing me a new white backdrop, the type his company uses, & I can't wait! I'm like a kid in a candy store. :) Did I mention my dog tinkled on my other one? Not Piper - Kosh did it! Hubs said "oh honey, I'm sorry". And I said "ahhhhh it's ok, I didn't like it anyway. LOL ☺ )

1 comment:

Kim said...

What beautiful children you have and what miracles they are, hey? I'm so glad you found my blog...thanks for the nice comment :)

Kim